4.07.2011

what's cookin'

If you came down to our neck of the woods and asked to meet my closest friends, I would take you around the great city of Houston, introducing you to a few pretty cool people, and then I would take you into my kitchen and introduce you to my best friend of all, my slow cooker. After many unsuccessful newly-wed meals (ahh the good ol days) including but not limited to: raw meatloaf and baked steak resembling charcoal nuggets, I turned to this little gem for help. But over time, acquaintances grew into friends and friends into BFFs. I'll admit, it is somewhat of a one-way relationship: Her slaving away all day, patiently awaiting my return while I check things off my to-do list and am welcomed home by the pleasing aroma of her hard day's work. However, I want to take this moment to publicly say, "thank you, little red slow cooker for getting me through the first year and a half of marriage." I salute you!


Now, to all you fellow chefs newly-weds cooking on an envelope budget-

Here are some of our favorite recipes. A few of you have asked me to post these, so here ya go! They are easy, quick and most importantly delish!  Nothing better than walking into your house to the smell of (already made) brisket tacos! The following recipes can be made in the slow cooker, so plop a few ingredients in, sit back and relax while your new best friend does all the work! Enjoy!


Brisket Tacos
It is actually cooking while I type this and I am counting down the hours until I can gobble it up.
Be sure to make enough for leftovers or you will be kicking yourself 
the following day around lunchtime!
Appearances: Valentine's Day meal, dinner with the Pittmans, dinner tonight 

What you need:
2 medium onions (thinly sliced)
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 (2-3 lb.) brisket
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 cup chopped cilantro

What you do:
1. Place first two ingredients in slow cooker
2. Add a cup of water
3. Trim fat, cut brisket into 3-inch pieces
4. Combine salt and chili powder on small plate
5. Rub brisket evenly with salt and chili powder, then place in slow cooker
6. Top with cilantro
7. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours

{BB Recommendation: serve with sliced avocado, white cheddar and lime}

Chicken in Red Wine
This is a great meal on a cold day...or any day, really. 
Super easy and gives you a great excuse to buy a bottle of wine. If you don't use it all on the meal (which I don't suggest), you can have a glass...ya know, just so it doesn't go to waste. 
Appearances: Dinner with the Halls, dinner for the newly-wed Tollesons

What you need:
8 boneless chicken breasts
1 bag (16 oz) baby carrots
8 oz tiny pearl onions
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled 
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 cups dry red wine or Sherry cooking wine
*Sid enote: I've made with both, tastes the same with either
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 lb. small button mushrooms
2 Tbs flour

What you do:
1. Place chicken in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except mushrooms and flour 
2. Cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hrs. (or HIGH 3-5 hrs.) or until juice of chicken is no longer pink
3. Skim fat off top of mixture and stir in mushrooms 
4. Mix flour with 2 Tbs cold water and stir into chicken mixture to thicken
5. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. 

{BB Recommendation: Serve with garlic mashed potatoes. Yum!}

Chicken in Honey Sauce
This is great Asiany dish (nice adjective, I know) Considering I heart Chinese food, and T won't touch anything resembling it with a 10 foot stick, this is the closest thing to it we get in out house. Despite his hesitation, he liked it (probably because it includes ketchup) and has eaten it since! Very yummy and super easy.
Appearances: Uhhh I forgot to go the grocery store and will make anything lying around 
and quick meals on Thursday nights before Small Group

What you need:
6 boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
*Side note: I usually only cook 2 chicken breasts for our little fam
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups honey
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
sesame seeds
*another Side note: I never have sesame seeds just lying around, so they usually don't make the cut

What you do:
1. Place chicken in slow cooker; season with salt and pepper
2. Combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, oil and garlic in medium bowl. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours.
3. Garnish with sesame seeds before serving. Serve extra sauce on side

{BB Recommendation: Serve with steamed broccoli and white rice}

Hope you enjoy these as much as we do! Feel free to pass along other easy slow cookin' recipes. If you haven't done so already, make besties with your slow cooker. She's a keeper.



2 comments: