9.22.2010

half iron, full man

IRONMAN BRANSON 70.3

Tate Barrett and Joseph "Bill" Nicholson team up for an inspirational performance in the 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run. Some critics say it is "so exciting!" (Meredith Hall), while others claim it is "just nuts" (Megan Maxwell). Some viewers say "shoot me in the face, I am sore and sweaty just reading about it (Kelsey Carpenter), it "makes me tired" (Kelly Williams), while others are just "proud to say they know an Ironman (Matt&Elyse Derian). It's obvious "those boys are insane" (Shawn Boyd); however, it makes you yell, "kick [aspirin]" (Jimmy Smith). Church-goers everywhere rave "that was one long bike ride, I went to church and Sunday School before they were done" (Justin Stonher). In the end, one expert even said "the definition of 'Tateness' is what one reaches when he surpasses greatness" (Colby Thomas). Critics everywhere agree Ironman Branson is an 8 hour roller coaster; it will have you laughing and tearing up all at the same time. Here, see for yourself...



SUNDAY . SEPTEMBER 19 . 2010

3:45 AM
Tate and Dad wake up to get ready for the big day. Eat a banana, pack up their gear, buckle the fanny pack and grab a Gatorade. Out the door to the transition area. 

5:50 AM
The support crew: Robby, LaVon, Lynley, Jan the Man, and me leave in time to see our triathletes before the race starts. It's a game of "Where's Waldo" out there. Everyone is barefoot, wearing a black wetsuit, swim cap and goggles. We finally find our Waldos and head over to wish them a quick, "good luck" before they're off. I don't know if they're nervous, but I am...and we all know LaVon is. As I glance over the sea of black wetsuits, I wonder how long these people have been training for this. Tate and Dad, 9 months, while I am sure others have been training most of their lives. Each racer has their age stamped on the back of their leg in black, permanent marker. Scanning the crowd, I spy a: 24, 57, 18, 72. There are people literally three times my age.

6:45 AM
Snap a few pics, and wish our boys a whole-hearted good luck. I give Tate a quick kiss and recite his motto with a little help: "swim smart, bike hard, run tough." We have recited this motto for the past few races, but I know it will never be needed more than in the next 7 hours. 

7:00 AM 
And they're off! The first wave is running bare-foot on the sand into the water. This wave consists of professional triathletes...the real crazies. They have a "P" on the back of their legs and will most likely finish the swim within 25 minutes or so. Although they are well-trained, they look like drunken ants in their black wetsuits climbing over each other. It is so exciting!  

7:15 AM
Five waves later, Dad's group is off and into the water! I watch the swimmers in a massive cluster take their first few strokes, knowing not everyone will finish. The swim is 1.2 miles, and someone has already grabbed onto the lifeguard's kayak merely 100 yards into the swim. This was the first athlete I saw stop the race due to physical limitations, but there would be many, many more throughout the day. I watch as Dad swims calmly, in the middle of the pack. Looking out, I strain to see the last buoy, a tiny green dot, marking the turn around point for the swim. It was a heckofaway out there to say the very least.

7:25 AM
It's my boo's turn. As the red swim caps are corralled through the "swim start" chute, the music starts:
"His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy...
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes one in a lifetime"

Now I am not usually a fan, but I would like to say, "thank you" to Eminem for capturing the moment perfectly.  The second to last wave lines up on the beach, pulling their goggles tight and listening for their cue. As they wait, they can see the P's finishing the swim and climbing out of the water. 

7:27 AM
And they're off! At this point Tate is waist-deep in the water and Dad is 1/3 of the way through is swim, both relying on their training and trusting their endurance. The support crew is busy snapping pictures and sending up prayers. 

7:39 AM
Dad is out of the water, peeling off his wetsuit as he jogs to the transition area. He slides in his shoes, tightens his helmet, clicks in his pedals and he's off to conquer the dreadful 56 miles of "small mountains." After the race, many triathletes said this was the hardest bike course they have ever experienced in their tri lives and that it should be the World Championship Half Iron. Yikes! He has no idea what he's in for...

7:56 AM
Tate is out of the water! As he passes Lynley, he strikes up a little convo asking how my dad is doing. So nonchalant. This is no time for politeness, boo, just keep running! He is out of the transition area and passes us on the bike. See you in 4 hours! Little did he know, as he was riding  the treacherous course, he would see triathletes laid out every 100 yards or so, giving up due to exhaustion. I can't imagine pushing yourself to a place where your body literally says "no more, I'm done." I mean my mind says that all the time, especially when washing dishes or walking around the block, but this is something completely different, a place only a very few have been.  

9:37 AM
To the race area...As we, support crew, are busy claiming our spectating/cheering spot along the run course, laying out our blankets setting up chairs and grabbing some breakfast, the first place runner comes through. You may not fully understand how crazy this is, but just know Tate, Dad and the other normal people are only halfway through the bike course! 

11:31 AM  
Dad finishes the "biotch" of a bike course. We found out later that his bike chain broke twice and he rode the last 6 miles with a faulty spoke. Now if that isn't hardcore determination, I don't know what is. At one point his legs were so tired/cramped he literally pumped his legs with his hands, pushing down on his thighs to pedal the bike. When he told me this I literally laughed out loud (lol, if you will) not because it was funny, but because I was so uncomfortable with how terribly difficult that sounds...kinda like when you laugh at a funeral. Just ridiculous. We try to high five him on his way out for the run, but he's too focused or something to reciprocate the high-fiveness. I guess that's a good sign.


11:59 AM
Tate enters the transition area, walking his bike to his #1185 designated spot. He exchanges his helmet for a hat and his bike shoes for his tennis shoes that from this point on will forever reek of sweat  determination. At this point it is miserably hot. Lynley and I are seeking shade under any tree that is relatively close by. I can't imagine running in this, but they can, because they are about to experience it first hand. Tate is off! I run beside him for a few steps and then he is on his own for the next 13 miles. They run 3 very long laps, which gives us 3 times the opportunities to cheer and high-five our ironmen-in-the-making. 

2:06 PM
7 hours 6 minutes later, Dad, #517 crosses the finish line!  It's hard to believe it was a little over a year ago he beat cancer, and now he's added Ironman Branson 70.3 to his list. He is awarded a finisher medal, making him an official Ironman.





2:54 PM
7 hours 39 minutes later, Tate, #1185, takes his first step as an Ironman! He is also awarded his coveted finisher medal. As he crossed the finish line we all became a little emotional. I thought about his training, about the discipline and heart it took to get to this point and the numerous people that were not able to cross that white line today. With that being said, success must make you thirsty because they both went straight for the chocolate milk and stood in the fountain. 

I got a hug from both of my Ironmen, drenching the side of my face with sweat, and had never been more proud (however, if I had to pick, a close second would be winning the national clogging championship in 2nd grade). I carried those nasty, sweaty shoes back to the car with smile on my face and my Ironman by my side.

COMING SOON: IRONMAN TEXAS 140.6 
MAY . 21 . 2011

3 comments:

  1. Great post Danielle. It was a tough race, but they did great! Way to tell the story. AND you are correct - your 2nd grade National clogging competition ranks right up there with the Ironman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, how come you didn't finish the first line of the song? It's so poetic. Also, reading this made me want to die. Congrats on being married to an Ironman (basically as impressive as being an Ironman).

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. i wish i would have said something a little more exciting or witty.

    2. This - "It's hard to believe it was a little over a year ago he beat cancer, and now he's added Ironman Branson 70.3 to his list" almost made me cry. Hero!

    3. can't wait for Ironman Houston! I'm already thinking of great tshirts and posters.

    ReplyDelete