5.27.2010

school's out

Every year around this time I like revert back to the olden days at FBC Denison. Every summer we'd put on a summer musical. One year we did "School's out" (Lynley and Jana, you know what I am talking about) All I remember was throwing papers, running down the aisles of our sanctuary (which I thought was a sin) and singing the theme song that went a little something like this:

School's out! Summer time has come. 
School's out! Time to have some fun. 
School's out! Life is such a blast, at laaaaast. 
No more walking in single file where ever we go. 
No more questions about the state of Idaho. 
(bumm, bum, bum bum bum bum bum...)
We ain't gonna use good grammar no more. 
We don't have to relive history no more. 
'Cause school's out! 

Remember how exciting it was to be a kid on the last day of school? It was the best! Well, today I learned it is equally as satisfying to be a staff member. SCHOOL'S OUT! This year I worked at 7 schools-- 2 public schools (seen below) and 5 private schools. As long as it had a door and a chair, you could call it my office. I worked in a blue library (also seen below), copy room, conference room, another library, counselor's office, PE portable, sunday school room and out of my car. I had a great time working with all my kids and learned a lot!

Thanks to input from my favorite mom-in-law (who is a teacher), I have decided to not partake in any work activities and enjoy my first summer off....which is why you work in a school district anyway, right? People keep asking me, "What are you going to do all summer?" Well I haven't really figured that out yet, but off the top of my head...I don't know, umm...


Instead of updating IEPs at ARDs, I am will update my TAN at the PdoulbeOL. 
Instead of  eating breakfast in rush hour and lunch in a library, I  will eat with friends.
Instead of teaching rules of initiating/maintaing a conversation (1.Greet 2.Ask 3.Wait 4. Respond. 5.Stay on topic), I will throw the rules out the window. 
Instead of planting hope in the young minds of students, I will plant an herb garden.


Instead of walking down the hall and greeting each person with "walk, don't run" I am just going to say "hi." 
Instead of working Mr. Potato Head to death as a "WH" question activity, I am going to give him a vacation in the storage closet. Good work, Mr. P! 
Instead of wearing an HISD school ID and head scarf every Tuesday at my School of Islam, I will sport a uniform of tank top, jorts and sunglasses. 
Instead going to PPCD for 30 minutes on a weekly basis, I'm going to Target.


Instead of using my car as an office, I will use it only as a mode of transportation. 
Instead of reporting assessment outcomes to parents, I will report the local bakery's cookie-of-the-day to my hubby. 
Instead of determining duration of speech services, I will determine duration of sleeping in. 
Instead of observing students in the classroom, I will observe Ellen and Caesar Milan in my living room.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head... Hope I don't get bored! 

3 comments:

  1. Haha! This is going to be stuck in my head all day, but I'm impressed that you remember that much of the song. :D Have fun at Target!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love every one of those ideas! What a good lil SLP you are! Enjoy your summer....don't let August creep up on you too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking for a recording of that song.

    ReplyDelete