5.05.2010

feliz cinco de mayo

It's Cinco de Mayo! Fiesta!

It's a holiday we take seriously here in Houston. I am used to celebrating up North where we just grab a bowl of queso and if you're feeling extra loco- a margarita with friends after work. However  now that I am 5 hours closer to the border, I'm learning it's a much bigger party down South!

At my elementary school there was minimal class and maximum partying. I intended on conducting therapy today, but ended up soaking in the festivities instead. The whole school was decorated, and the kids put together an all day Cinco de Mayo program. Oh, AND there was a real, live mariachi band! The only problem is, you have to hire the band all day, so between scene 1 and scene 2 of the program the kids enjoyed a great cultural performance while they ate their sack lunches in the cafeteria. I didn't know most of the songs, but I did recognize the "Frito Bandito" song and the chicken dance. The kids didn't seem to know this dance, maybe I'm getting old.

After work Tate and I walked over to Berryhill for some tex-mex. Their fish tacos are the best! I love that we can walk to places from our apartment, its so much fun. What a great day! Now all I need is a siesta...

No comments:

Post a Comment