3.10.2010

just going to the dentist

Why do dental hygienists find it so difficult to ask questions that require a simple yes/no answer? Do you know what I am talking about? Maybe I just look extra chatty? It doesn't matter who your dentist is, they all wait until your mouth is wide open to ask away. I went to the dentist last week, and I promise you that the hygienist and I sat in silence for six minutes before she leaned the chair back, stuck that metal pick (the one with the hook that makes a horrible noise) in my mouth and began asking for a detailed biography! It's just craziness. There is no way she understands what I am saying, but she is a real master at nodding in affirmation. All in all, it was baffling, but not a bad visit (for me)...


However, the other half of us had a pretty traumatic experience. You have no idea how much my husband hates, despises, loathes the dentist. Not just our dentist, anyone with "DDS" after their name. I knew he would never make an appointment, so when I called to make my appointment I scheduled one for him too. I felt very "wifey." I'd never made an appointment for someone else before, I rarely have made them for myself (thanks Jan). When I called the office, they asked for Tate's phone number to call him later to confirm. However, I told them to call me because I knew he would just cancel it. Well, Friday came and he actually went.While enduring pure agony, he managed to send me a text that said, "kill me now." I didn't know if I was more surprised he went or that he was (barely) speaking to me when he came home.


But, we are alive and still married so everything is fine. Well everything except that I got diagnosed handed 2 brochures on TMD (temporomandibular disorder) due to a "deviating jaw" and Tate has go to back for a follow up....oops....we haven't set an appointment for that yet. Since I knew Tate would be facing his biggest fear, I bought him a Little Critter book to prepare him for the trip entitled, "Just Going to the Dentist." I read it to him and we found the spider on every page. The book didn't help at all, but it's thought that counts...right...?! Can you see the anger in his eyes in this first pic? I wasn't kidding! 

Fun Dental Facts:
*The average American spends 39 days brushing their teeth over a lifetime.
*73% of Americans would rather go grocery shopping than floss.
*Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.
*The average woman smiles about 62 times a day! The average male, only 8. 

1 comment:

  1. Aw, that's kinda cute. Even if you're already an adult, it's still pretty normal to be afraid of the dentist. But since adults are older than kids, most of the time, they have to make an appointment on their own. Also, if you do have TMD, you should ask a dentist on what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete