3.03.2010

countdown to bearathon

17 days until Bearathon! That means I have a little over two weeks to get myself in gear. As we speak, Tate is out running 6 miles and I am sitting on the couch typing. But hey, someone has to keep this thing up and running. As I high-fived him on his way out the door, I promised I would go run, so let's keep this short. As all of you know, it would be somewhat of a stretch to say I am athletic. I strongly dislike to run or do anything close to running which includes but is not limited to: sprinting, jogging, galloping, even brisk airport walking is too much for me. 

Last year, my mom and I decided to walk the 5K together. The goal: Don't finish last. The strategy: start at the front of the pack (which thrilled the serious runners, I am sure). We knew at least one person in the group had to be slower than us, and as long as we started out in front of them, that person would never pass us. Success! We walked all 5 kilos and finished way  a little bit before a ton, a handful of people. After Bearathon last year, I made a new goal. The goal: to RUN the 5K. The Strategy: to work out to some extent before the race. Tate helped me mark out a 5K trail around our neighborhood, which is a great idea. However, I have only run two times; tonight will make three. I guess I better get a move on! 

By the way, Tate ran the whole 13.1 half marathon last year! He is running it again this year! Way to go, hubs! I previously posted about how awesome of an athlete he is, so I thought it would be ok to make this one all about me and my aspiration. Hope you all don't mind. You understand, most of you were fellow FMS track teammates. Well, I was the manager, but still it counts. Go Mustangs! 

For all of you who want to be a part of this race too, sign ups are now open! You get to raise money for student scholarships while getting in a good workout and a free t-shirt (which is the real reason we do anything, right? races, intramurals, D-nows, you know what I'm talking about). Tate and I have been a part of this race in one way or another for three years. Below is a little timeline and some pics from last year so you can better understand our relationship to this beloved event. Bearathon 10 or bust! 

2007- D&T worked Bearathon
2008- D&T in charge of Bearathon
2009- D walked 5K, T ran the half
2010- Coming soon!

our Bearathon crew 


5K finishers! 

1 comment:

  1. Danielle...I've got to admit, I'm feeling the pressure to update my blog so much more now. I think that is because you are doing a kick "A" job at updating your own! You keep me accountable and for that I am thankful! Be on the lookout for more posts...and I'll do the same!

    ReplyDelete