10.17.2012

tres anos

Happy Anniversary, Tate! You are the butter to my toast.


This year we celebrated 3 years! Hip, hip, hooray! 
A lot has happened in 3 years- We got married. We swam with sharks. Went to Hawaii, New York, LA, Colorado, Georgia, and San Francisco. We whitewater rafted. We climbed to the top of the statue of liberty. We've hiked to 12,000 ft. We saw Rev. Camden from Seventh Heaven at Bacchanalia. We got a puppy. We moved. "We" finished 2 Ironman races.  We went to grad school...we got into the Ph.D. program. We got new jobs. We moved again.We bought a house.


A lot of good has happened in 1,095 days. We celebrated that goodness by taking a trip the weekend before our anniversary to the Gaylord Texan, where we also stayed the night of our wedding. Tate made reservations and surprised me...he's so sneaky, like a fox....and also so sweet like a lamb. He's a foxy lamb. We had a great time! It was a wonderful, laid-back weekend with sleeping in and spectacular food. My kind of trip. 


For our actual anniversary, 10.17, we stayed home. We cooked one of our favorite meals- Lemon Basil Pasta with grilled chicken, Pesto Rolls and Texas Sheet Cake. You should try it! I cooked, Tate grilled, and Wrigley chewed on sticks. Everyone was happy! It was the perfect low-key night, eating dinner on our screened in patio. We later watched our wedding video, which was fun. You should watch it too. I forgot what a FUN night our wedding was! I wish we could do it all again. Thanks, Tate for putting up with my snoring, bed-hogging self for 3 whole years. You are the most selfless, tolerant person I know...and that is the truth. I love and appreciate you more today than ever! Here's to 3, no 100 more years!!


I can't wrap things up without mentioning another monumental event that coincides on this special day. As many of you know, this is also the same day my sweet Grandma Jackie went to Heaven 3 years ago. She was the strongest, most admirable woman, and we are all better for just having known her. She could remember every detail of every person's life. She got Christmas cards from people like her insurance agents and mailmen- people that you normally merely say "hello" to in passing, she could tell you how many grandkids they had and where they went to high school. She was the best of the best. She taught me a lot of things- like how to make mashed potatoes, cranberry relish, how to laugh at yourself, tell good stories, and play Rack-o. She also taught me how to smile through the pain and find value in each and every person. She now has her work cut out for her- learning everyone's story in Heaven, but I guess she's got the time and I look forward to playing Rack-o with all of her friends one day. I love you Grandma Jackie and as Dad said at our wedding toast, today, 10.17, will always be "a day to celebrate life." 



1 comment:

  1. Reading your post, I laughed and I cried. Now, that is a post!
    10/17 will always be the day we celebrate life. AND know without a doubt that God loves us and blesses our lives.

    ReplyDelete