10.06.2012

different school, same story

Hello world! It's been a while {I'm sure my numero uno fan, mi madre, can tell you the exact number of days} since my last post, but nonetheless, I had to vent update you on my life.

So, some of you may know I am working at a new school district this year {more on that later}. Some of you may also remember back in good 'ole Houston I was called many things: Heidi, Mrs. Barnett, Speech Lady...basically anything and everything except my actual name...which I still believe is not that difficult to pronounce.

Well, although dear, dear Waco is extremely different from Houston, one thing remains the same: 'Danielle Barrett' is apparently an impossible name to retain and pronounce. Here's the evidence:

Scenario 1: I got TWO letters last week from Speech Therapy-related companies addressed to 'Nicole Barrett' {what?}

Scenario 2: I walk into the front office to remind our principal, Mrs. S. of our 3 ARDs today. Just then the vice principal, Mrs. M., frantically leaves Mrs. S.'s office and beelines towards me. She says, "Mrs. S. and I need to have a briefing with you as soon as possible regarding a situation that occurred yesterday." {oh crap, what did I do...or not do...am I out of dress code...did someone report me for not been signing in...did Siri accidentally call them while I was venting in my office...is there a student missing because they wandered off after speech?!} Oh the possibilities! I couldn't wait until the end of the day; I had to meet now! I walked down to her office 5 minutes later to tell her I could meet then, if she could. She said that would work and got on the phone to call Mrs. S. As she tilts the phone away from her ear she casually asks, "I'm sorry and what is your last name?" "Barrett," I respond shakily. She says, "that's right...but I knew your first name is Kelly." {whhhhhhat? Mind you I have worked at this school 3 days a week for 6 weeks now...and I led 2 ARDs with her just last week.} 
3 days x 6 weeks x about twice a day= 36 interactions
"Ummm, no my first name is Danielle." She tilts her head to the side and replies, "Wait, are you the speech teacher?" "No ma'am I am the Speech PATHOLOGIST "Yes." Now I am already beyond offended considering: 1. She doesn't know my profession and 2. She doesn't know my first OR last name. She says, "Ohhh, ok I thought you were the Baylor Community In Schools Intern. Sorry, you both have blonde hair. Oops. I guess I don't need you after all, you're off the hook." Before I can get out the door to roll my eyes in solitude, Mrs. S. graces us with her presence. She starts on a lot of confusing things... Before I can get a word in Mrs. M informs her, "no, no, this is Mrs. BAR-NETT {said slowly and with emphasis to ensure she got it right}, the speech lady." They all get a good laugh and I get out of there. 

All of this to say, although I may be at a very different school district this year, in a different town, I feel riiiiight at home. 


Yours Truly, 

Kelly Bartlett, the blonde girl 

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited that you have finally blogged Kelly. Please keep up the good work. Seriously, Ms. Barker, I always enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you are one of those Speech girls from Baylor....aren't you all interchangeable? JK!

    ReplyDelete