4.17.2012

a lot of changes

Today after a stressful session teaching same/different with those pesky Venn Diagrams, I had a conversation with a particular 4th grader about having a positive attitude during speech. "We all have to do things we don't want to, but you get to choose if you will do it with a stinky attitude or a positive attitude. It's your decision." Clear enough, right? Wrong. While explaining how eye-rolling and huffing/puffing is disrespectful {and more importantly will not earn him a coveted "super straw"}, he informed me that he "is just going through a LOT of changes right now". I stopped mid-sentence, first in confusion and then hesitating before asking the next question cautiously, "What... kind... of changes?" He told me, accompanied by one of his signature eye-rolls, "Well, I'm just changing a LOT right now. You see, I am only TWO years away from becoming a teenager. That's why I am changing so much." 

Touche. 

Likewise, the Barrett household has "just been going through a LOT of changes" right now in the past 3 years. Yesterday marked the anniversary of our 3 year engagement. It was merely 3 years ago yesterday that Tate asked me to marry him. I don't know why he wanted to claim me after only 6 short months, but I'm sure glad he did! And change has been inevitable ever since... accompanied by a few eye-rolls every now and again, I'm sure. 

The other night over pesto chicken pasta {one of the many things we have learned to cook together} on our back patio {while fending off a certain, droopy-eyed golden retriever}, Tate and I played a fun game. We had to name 3 ways we had changed in the past 3 years due to one another's influence. It could be anything- personality changes, routine changes, likes/dislikes, etc. After little thought the verdict was: 

Tate: 
1. I cuss less often.
2. I am more particular about food. 
{false. very false, if you know Tate, you will agree}
After further questioning, he rephrased by saying, 
"Well, I am more particular about the finer things." 
{oooook, Mr. Fancy Pants. I've created a monster}
3. No response.
{Typical. At least we know some things haven't changed.}

Danielle:
1. I cuss more often. And by more often, I mean ever.
2. I am on time more often. 
{also false. If you know me, you will agree.} 
I quickly retracted that statement after laughter from both parties
3. I am more laid back about the little things.

Well done. Here's to three damn {that's from the post-Tate Danielle} good years together! Can't wait to see how much more changin' is to come for Mr. Fancy Pants and Mrs. Potty Mouth Barrett. I love you and appreciate you more everyday! 

Also- yesterday was Dr. Robby Barrett's birthday! Happy b-day Rob-o! I hope your day was filled with your favorite things including Long John Silver's, The Ghost of Mr. Chicken and roller coasters. 

1 comment: