4.20.2010

sicko

Today I am home sick. Yuck. I have felt under the weather for a little over a week now. The worst part (besides the excessive cough and sore throat) is that I lost my voice over the weekend. It didn't help that I was with 7 of my best friends all day Saturday, so a whisper wasn't going to hold me back. Since then I haven't been able to talk. Which seems to be contradictory at work since I am a  Speech Pathologist. This was a pic from work yesterday, I had a lot of extra time on my hands since I wasn't able to lead my sessions.
This morning I decided to finally go to the doctor. Before leaving the house I had self diagnosed myself with an upper respiratory infection thanks to WebMD. I thought I could probably use a second opinion, so I went to one of those walk-in clinics. There were a few things wrong with this picture...

1. This clinic is located IN an HEB...not beside, not next to, but in the actual grocery store. How unsanitary is that? Attention HEB customers: buy one bushel of bananas and get a free sample of tuberculosis. Not really, but doesn't that seem kinda gross? I guess it is convenient for some people. The dad waiting beside me bought some trash bags while his daughter was waiting to see the "doctor." Two birds, one stone.

2. I felt like I was in the movie, "Meet the Parents." I was the ONLY patient this morning when I got there. I walked up to the counter (located by the registers) and whispered, "Hi, I need to check in." They said, "Please sign your name and we will be with you in a moment." They said it like they were busy or something. I looked around (which didn't take long) to notice I am the only patient in the clinic. It's just the secretary, nurse and me. So, I quickly scratched my name on the sheet and sat down. 30 seconds went by before I heard, "Danielle." Seriously, you couldn't have asked that 30 seconds ago? Now I have to get up and walk over the counter. Maybe she wanted to feel like she worked in a real doctor's office, I can't blame her.

3. The best part occurred after I was called back to Examination Room 1 (1 of 2). The "doctor" was asking about my medical history and symptoms. At one point he pulled out his iPhone to look something up! I'm pretty sure he was typing my symptoms in the google search box to make his diagnosis. Not too comforting. I already did that myself at home.

Conclusion: secondary infection to either allergies or a virus. Thank you google for the diagnosis and thank you HEB walk-in clinic for a Z pack prescription.

It was an interesting morning, but it got the job done. I guess I can use my free time to update the blog world on our eventful weekend...coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment