4.12.2010

4 pounds of tricep

Naturally when we got engaged, I expected people would tell us "Congratulations," but I never thought they would follow it up with, "After you get married, you will gain 30 pounds in the first year." Excuse me? What? It was so strange, but people would tell us that all of the time. They said that in your first year of marriage you both gain weight. First of all, who says that to someone? It's just discouraging. Secondly, it's not completely true.

6 months have come and gone and I think it's time to weigh in...

Since October, Tate has lost 12 pounds (the equivalent of a bag of flour, a bowling ball, a cat) and I have gained 4! I know, it's so unfair.

I have worked out harder and more consistently post marriage than I have in a very long time, and this is what I get in return? I knew that I didn't like the gym, but I had no idea it reciprocated my feelings. Well, at least we are both on the same page.

Granted, Tate has been training really hard for these triathlons. For all of you that don't know, his life goal is to finish an Iron Man. A full Iron Man consists of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a full marathon...in that order...without a break. It's kinda a big deal. I am really proud of him! He's been working really hard towards his goal, and it shows!

As for me, I've been consistently jogging and going to my kickboxing class. Classes are a good source of motivation for me, and it's an intense work out! It's good cardio and my arms are pretty tired after class. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure I know where that newly added 4 pounds came from. It's in my tricep, 2 pounds on each arm.

A few weeks ago Tate started two-a-day workouts! Yikes! He goes to the gym at 6ish to swim, goes to work, then comes home at 5:30 to run/bike. He has way more self-discipline and determination than I do. I am not only proud of him when he gets up early to work out, but I also enjoy having the whole bed to myself for an hour. I've been doing four-a-days, but it's more like 4 Thin Mints a day rather than 4 workouts. (hmmm maybe that is where the 4 pounds come from...nah)

Side Note: Speaking of Girl Scout cookies, is anyone else troubled by the fact they changed their cookie names? Instead of "Somas" they are now "Carmel Delights" What's the deal? If anyone has any information, please let me know...

Anyway, that is the latest on our scale. Be looking for an update in another 6 months. Let's leave the 4 pounds to the triceps and hope the quads aren't looking for some new additions as well. Yikes!

5 comments:

  1. Hey guys this is mike, a fan. You guys are crazy. I have been following your blog for a while now and think it would be cool if we could meet up. I am in Houston and live downtown and was thinking it would be nice to meet the Baylor Barretts, even though i am a huge arkansas fan. do you guys ever go out for pizza? i know a place nearby my work at westheimer and i10. post about me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I'm thinking we will be talking about this over dinner. SOAP BOX ALERT! I havent seen you in a while but if you carrying 4 pounds of triceps should be quite brutal. As briefly as I can: This is why I hate the scale...it does not give you an accurate portrayal of your weight...EVER! Unless you eat the same thing every day, the same amount of water, and exerted the same amount of energy every day you wont get an accurate read. Because every day you do different things, eat differently and therefore digest and burn calories at a different rate.

    So if you've been working out. Most likely, those extra pounds are muscle weight...we will continue this conversation later lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's gotta be muscle girl! you're beautiful...inside and out! happy tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know all about the Carmel Delights! We have some friends who used to live in Houston and apparently there are two "bakers" for the Girl Scout Cookies. In your case, ABC Smart Cookie bakers distribute to Houston. Little Browinie Bakers distribute to the Dallas area. Here are links to their websites where you can see the difference in cookies: wow...I'm such a nerd!

    http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/cookies/index.html

    http://www.abcsmartcookies.com/cookies.asp

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey mike. i like pizza.

    do you ever go by Prison Mike?

    ReplyDelete