4.08.2010

our third first holiday

We celebrated our first Thanksgiving in New Braunfels, our first Christmas in New Braunfels/Allen, and most recently...our first Easter in Amarillo!

This was our first time to be in Amarillo since we've been married, so we were way overdue! Boy, was it windy! (If you need proof, check out the Canyon pic) At one point, I went outside with the intention of jogging. I turned the corner. Wind in the face! The jog turned into a slow backwards walk. To me it was unreal, but to Tate it was a welcome home sign. We were pretty excited about spending our first Easter weekend in the 806 and it went a little something like this...


Family & Friends. We got to spend 3 full days hanging out with our friends and family, which some of whom we hadn't seen in 5 months! It was nice to have time to catch up, relax and do summersalts on Robby & LaVon's bed (which I am learning is somewhat of a Barrett tradition). But don't worry about me. Since age 5, I have prided myself in my summersalting abilities, so I am fitting in just fine!

Blue Sky. We made a burger run the first day we were there. I was glad to be going! The praises of Blue Sky had been ringing in our house for weeks, especially around dinner time. Last weekend, dreams came true. This is Tate's all-time favorite restaurant. I am trying to think of an analogy that will do it justice, but the best thing I can come up with at the moment is... 
Tate : Blue Sky :: Danielle : Durning House :: Uncle Jay : Country Crock

Tank Tops. Tate tried to convince one of us that male tank tops are non heterosexual. Others in the family disagreed. You be the judge. There are so many disturbing things about this image, but I think the most troubling is the pit, women's clothing, fact that my tank top fits him!


Shopping. LaVon introduced me to all the cute boutiques around Amarillo and Canyon. There were so many good finds! Too bad every inch of our 750 sq. ft. apartment is occupied and our storage room is full. When we move into a bigger place, I am going back on a mission for antiques and handmade treasures. The boys had to come too. They acted like they weren't excited; however, I am pretty sure Tye found something in almost every store.

Naps. We averaged about a nap a day, probably due to jet lag. It was grrreat!

The Canyon. If you visit Amarillo, you have to see the Palo Duro Canyon. It's one of the hot spots! It was my kind of tour. We all drove, no hiking or climbing or walking, just drove through the thing with our windows slightly cracked to feel the breeze. It was beautiful and no one had to sweat. FYI, Palo Duro means "sturdy tree." Who knew?! You would think the Indians that first saw and named the Canyon would be more taken back by the actual canyon rather than the strength of the trees, but what do I know, I'm only 1/16 Cherokee.


Church. We went to church Friday & Sunday (don't act like you're not impressed). Friday night was the Good Friday service and Lord's Supper. It was a great time to reflect on what the weekend was genuinely about- the cross and the resurrection. This was the second time Tate and I have done the Lord's Supper together, which is one of our most special times as a family.


Egg Hunt. Yep, that's right! After church, we had an Easter egg hunt. LaVon assumed we weren't hunting eggs, but in true "mom mode" she quickly improvised. She stuffed the eggs with whatever she had, candy and money, (which worked to our advantage) and hid those eggs in the backyard. As it turns out, I am not only skilled at summersalting, but I am also a pretty good egg-finder. The Easter bunny was better to some of us than others. Hence my stack of money and Tye's handful of candy.

It was a great weekend and a very memorable third first holiday! Happy Easter!

4 comments:

  1. You would have to be skilled at egg hunting, though doing it in the daylight was probably a hindrance to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was so great to see you and tate! have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you all hunted eggs too! You did miss an interesting 3 legged hunt at your house! JaCoby and I were "bunnies" and we seemed to find every egg that had play-do in it. Jessica did tell me "well I just don't want to be the person in the middle"...I go Jessica! It's a 3 LEGGED race, not 3 people! haha :) Oh and I love the shoutout to dad. I'm about to show this to him now. Love you and miss you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sure missed Tate & you for Easter, but looks like you had a great weekend in Amarillo. We had an egg hunt here too for kids & adults; all 27 of us. (Of course, Uncle Bubba had his "side dish of attitude", but we made him partner with Uncle Bobby and they all hunted.) Love you both.

    ReplyDelete