2.03.2013

stand up


This message brought to you by yours truly, Ironman Tate: 

Anything Is Possible. As many of you know, my grandma, Jackie Barrett, was diagnosed with lung cancer in late October 2012.  Initially, it was feared the cancer had reached her lymph nodes; however, further tests revealed that the cancer was isolated in the upper lobe of her right lung.  I feared the worst, trying to make sense of why this was happening to my family, and more specifically, to my grandma.  Many of you can identify with this struggle, as you or family members may have experienced it firsthand. Prayers were immediately said for grandma by family and friends, including some of you who have never met her, and for that I am grateful. God is good all the time. In His sovereignty, He answered those prayers through a successful surgery in December 2012.  The doctor reported he was able to remove all of the cancer from Grandma’s right lung, and she is now on the long road to recovery.  Throughout this experience, I have been amazed by my Grandma’s determination and unwavering faith that all would happen, be it good or bad, according to God’s plan.  Grandma never doubted God’s will through this process and was a wonderful example of placing your life in His hands.  I am reminded that through faith in Christ…
Anything Is Possible.

This is also the motto of Ironman.  Triathlons, Ironman in particular, have become a huge part of my, and in turn, my family’s life over the past 3 years.  Two years in a row I have raced in Ironman Texas in the Woodlands with my father-in-law, Bill Nicholson.  For those of you who don’t know, an Ironman consists of a 2.4 mile open water swim, and 112 mile bike ride, and then a marathon, 26.2 miles, for a total of 140.6 miles, all in under 17 hours. It is the best and worst experience of your life.

Triathlon, by its very nature, is a selfish sport. It’s considered an individual endeavor, and you would think at times on the 140.6 mile course you would feel more isolated than ever.  However, thanks to all of you, it has never seemed that way. Many of you have followed me through my 3 year journey to Ironman. You have cheered me on, sent positive thoughts, worn bright orange t-shirts, and most importantly, lifted me up in prayer. You will never know how much your support means to me. This year, I want to make my third journey to the Ironman finish line more than just an individual endeavor.  This year it will be a team effort more than ever. It will be a celebration of life, a triumph of answered prayers, and a time to Stand Up 2 Cancer in honor of my Grandma and all other “Grandma Jackies” out there.

Stand Up 2 Cancer is a wonderful organization, created to fund cancer research grants and actively work towards finding a cure. This year a Stand Up 2 Cancer team, Team Jackie Barrett, has been created to raise funds specifically for lung cancer research.   I am looking for 140 teammates to join me in the fight against cancer at Ironman Texas on May 18, 2013.

What does it mean to be a teammate? Well, essentially for every $10 you donate, you will sponsor 1 mile of my 140.6 race. As a team, we will collectively raise $1,406 for cancer treatment and research across the nation! Feel free to participate to whatever degree you can, be it 1 mile, or for all of those over achievers out there, the whole bike leg!  If we get more than 140 team members, don’t worry, we will just have double sponsors on some miles. The more the merrier!

On May 18, I will jump into the muddy waters of Lake Woodlands for a leisurely swim, ride the rolling hills of the Sam Houston National Forest, and take a little jog along the waterways of the Woodlands. In doing so, we will celebrate life, serving an all-powerful God, and fighting for the good. Go Team Barrett!

Standing Up 2 Cancer one mile at a time.  Will you Stand Up with us?

To join Team Barrett, click here 



“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith.” –Hebrews 12:1-2


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete