2.20.2012

be mine

It's a fact- the longer you are married, the more low-key Valentine's Day becomes and even more shocking, you're ok with it.


Valentine's Day around here this year was wonderfully lower-key. It was a Tuesday...in case you already forgot. We decided to give back this year, so I volunteered during the day playing with kids while Tate tutored college Freshmen, oh wait those are our actual jobs. Never mind, although sometimes the paycheck does feel a lot like volunteering. After work we surprised each other with gifts. For some reason we've started doing that thing where we say, "Do you want to do gifts? I don't need anything. You don't have to get me something. Really, let's not worry about gifts." And we mean it, but then we end up getting each other something anyway. I told Tate the only thing I wanted was a good meal, and he delivered...but we will get to that later! He also gave me a rose tree! Love it! As he walked into the house he said, "I could have gotten you actual roses, but those would have died. Well, this will probably die too, but at least it will last a little longer." So true, but I am going to try my hardest and channel my inner Martha to keep this thing alive. I got Tate a mechanic's light {he had been eyeing it at The Warehouse for months} and a vintage tool box. Oh, and the cherry on top was that I made him some Oreo Cheesecakes. True story, he saw them while I was on Pintrest and asked me to pin them months ago. Tate's fuel in life is peanut butter, triathlons and Oreos, so I think he was pleased.

We went to dinner at an amazing steakhouse in Temple, Cheeves Bros. This place is dear to our hearts for two reasons. 1. This is the place we celebrated our first V day when I was in grad school and T was living in Longview.  2. This is the place we celebrated our 2nd Anniversary this October. As you can see, we obviously love this place. I wish I could say it's because we are so sentimental, but let's be honest, it's all about the peppercorn steak in the Merlot reduction. Drool. And I know this is weird, but the tea is good, really good. It has mint in it or something.

After dinner, we drove back to Waco and cuddled by the fire while watching The Notebook. Ok, not really- Tate went back to school to work on his 24 hour test {who gives a take home test on Valentine's anyway?! Cupid's arch nemesis that's who}, while I caught up on some quality tv...probably whatever was on Bravo. Flowers, steak dinner, cheesecake, and Bravo tv- Happy Valentine's Day to me! It was a great evening with the perfect Valentine, and I couldn't be any luckier...unless I had a post V day lunch at Cheeves.

xoxo

1 comment: