8.17.2011

farewell to 835

{insert sappy quote referring to home here. choices include: Miranda Lambert's "House That Built Me", Sugarland's "Who Says You Can't Go Home" or Michael Buble's "I Want To Go Home"}

Last week my parents closed on their house. It's official, 835 Stacy Road is no longer the Nicholson residence...tear...seriously. We moved in when I was going into 9th grade and Lynley going into 7th. Oh if these walls could talk! They would tell you of last day of school parties, getting ready for home coming, family crowded around card tables at Thanksgiving, graduation celebrations, marrying the love of my life and most importantly- cowboy creeper. And if they could smell they would tell you of my mom's famous queso with sausage, the Sage and Citrus candle that is always burning and instantly reminds me of home, and Doritos-- because strangely enough, that is what our golden retriever, Chloe, always smells like. This was the most perfect house to grow up in. It was beautiful and spacious and most importantly, homey. It was the type of house that instantly disarms and softens you just by driving in the driveway. The type of place you feel safe in, despite our speculations of it being haunted for the first few years. It was not only a house but part of our family. The kitchen was always full of friends whether it was for youth group activities or just hanging out after a AHS football game {Seniors oh four!}. Although my parents are just moving right down the road from this place and I now have my own apartment, my mind will always travel back to 835 Stacy Road when I hear the word "home." When doing so, I hope I am always flooded with heartwarming memories such as:


-Picking numbers between 1 and 50 with Lynley to see who got the "cool" room...which Lynley won
-Missy {our old yellow lab} walking circles around the perimeter of the house, leaving a trail of dead grass
-9th grade birthday party sleepover in the "game garage" {which now that I think about it, didn't have AC}
-Talking on the phone in my closet only to get busted by mom for being on the phone past my 10:30 curfew...I still don't know how she know EVERY time
-Lynley and I sharing a bed every night through high school
-Dad trapping squirrels in the attic and driving them a few miles away to be set free
-Waking up mom in the middle of the night, begging her to take us wrapping/TPing, and her usually agreeing
-Waking up to see snow blanketing the front yard on Valentine's Day 2004
-Sock wrestling and singing the National Anthem in vibrato to put off cleaning our rooms
-Playing pool volleyball with friends home from college {XA U} and Jimmy {our youth/college minister} asking if we were still required to wear one piece bathing suits
-Photo Shoot: 5 reasons why Christmas Break should only be 4 weeks long
-Walking in the breezeway door to be surprised by the best friends and family at our engagement party
-Hurrying downstairs Christmas morning with cousins to see what Santa put in our stockings
-Dad making me coffee every morning during my early mornings working at the hospital
-Dancing with my husband for the first time at our magical wedding reception and leaving as Mrs. Barrett

These are just a few moments that shaped my life while living in this very special place. I am sure most of you have memories of your own here. We love you 835 and hope you will provide the same joy to the next family you house...although we know no one can top us. Now only if we could have visitation rights at Christmas and every other weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment