8.26.2010

ironman tejas or bust

Well, we are officially the crazy people. Who in their right mind would swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and then wrap it up with a marathon? Yours truly, Mr. Tate Barrett. And what sane wife would support such craziness? Guilty.

Tate signed up for the Ironman last night! May, 21st 2011. He and my dad are going to make history by competing in the first Ironman ever in Texas. Guess where it is....HOUSTON! What, what? It's in our neck of the woods which is great for many reasons: don't have to pay for a hotel, we get to sleep in our own beds, he can run/ride the course beforehand, I can go home during the loooooong race and hopefully friends can come out to support our Tater.

Here is Tate signing up...


We are so excited about the big day! This is HUGE. People train their whole lives for this kind of thing. Tate and my dad have been training and talking about doing this for what seems like a lifetime, but in reality has only been a year. They have trained multiple times a day (which I've learned is called a brick), everyday-- swimming, biking and running. They've changed many flat bike tires, survived 2 falls (that I know of), competed in a sprint and an olympic tri. The half iron is in a month and now we have this monster on the horizon! It's been a journey, a dream that has become a reality. It's for real now people, and we are on the short road headed straight to the Ironman Texas.

Last night we sat down at the kitchen table to officially sign up. In addition to all the basic stuff, they asked for your insurance information, which country you are representing, your local newspaper and home-town tv station. This thing is legit. 


The triathletes have a 17 hour time limit to finish the race. Some don't even cross the finish line until midnight! That is what I call a full day of H-E-double hockey sticks; however, my opinion aside, it will be a glorious life time accomplishment for Tate, my dad and many other brave souls. Way to go guys! Team Barrett and Team Nicholson all the way! I cannot express how proud of you I am and how much I admire to your hard work and discipline. Ironman Texas 2011 or bust! Better start continue contemplating where to get that Ironman tattoo. 


2 comments:

  1. Count the Hall's in. We will even make t-shirts. Maybe even get tattoo's that say "Tate's Ironman 2011"

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Tate will need your support and my mom and I will love your company! We can all go to the tattoo parlor together afterwards.

    ReplyDelete