7.14.2010

mrs. barnett, the speech lady

Mrs. Barnett, Mrs. Barlett, Mrs. Berry...

Over the past 9 months I have been called all of the above. Is Barrett really that difficult? I know it isn't overly common yet it's not that unusual either. Granted it may be challenging to spell seeing as the the "double r" and the "double t" can be a double doozy, but it is pronounced exactly like it is spelled.
Barrett: (Bear-It)

Maybe I am just above the curve since I teach speech for a living, maybe I should go easy on the rest of the world...

August marked the beginning of the school year as well as the start of my first real job. I arrived on campus, introducing myself as "Mrs. Barrett." It seemed strange and unnatural at the time considering I wouldn't be married for another two months. However, if I didn't start then, I would forever be "Nicholson" to Houston Independent School District. If you don't believe me, try looking me up in the HISD directory. No Danielle Barrett exists, only Danielle Nicholson...it's exhausting to explain every time someone wants to shoot you an e-mail.

As the year went on, we had numerous meetings for any student entering, receiving or exiting the speech program. Each meeting started the same way, going around the table, being introduced by the chairperson. As it turns out, I was continually being introduced and referred to as Mrs. Barnett, the Speech Therapist. Great. I see these people everyday. I work in their classrooms with their students. Sign my names hundreds of times on their paperwork, yet still I am Mrs. Barnett. Sure I probably should have corrected them the first time it happened, but I was new and that would be awkward. As time went on, it just got worse.

The kids were thrown off too. They were initially confused, spouting off gibberish as my last name and have since shortened the confusion to "Mrs. Berry." As I walked into their Resource classroom,  I was greeted by a chorus of "Hiiii, Miss Berry." Good. Now not only am I not a Barrett, I am apparently not married either. It was a long time coming getting that title and now I am back to square one, "Miss." I don't even get the satisfaction of a questionable "Ms." I always smiled and responded to the greeting. I like Berry better than Barnett anyway. It sounds happier. And if you are going to get it wrong, go ahead and get it really wrong.

Speaking of getting it wrong, one particular teacher didn't even try to hide the fact she was clueless when it came to my name. We work in Special Education together, so she isn't a teacher on the other side of the building whom I never see. I see her on a weekly basis. After 8 months, I was walking down the hall as I came upon her disciplining a Kindergarden student. As she is talking to him in a stern voice, he looks up at me with pleading eyes, avoiding eye contact with her. She looks at me, then back at him and says, "Look at me, don't look at...(pause)...the Speech Lady." Wonderful. Now I don't have a title or a name and am reduced simply to the speech lady. At least she left "the" and an adjective in there, soon I will merely be "that lady."

Well, at least at the end of the work day, I can go home to my apartment with familiar faces and people that know my name, right? Wrong. Home is even worse. We have this friendly man that works at the front desk. He is great, his name is Dwayne. He greets every resident as they come off the elevator, calls when you have a visitor and signs for your packages. Basically he is all up in your business, so he knows everyone. Problem is Dwayne apparently thinks I am someone else. A while back, Dwayne greeted me with, "Heidi!" as I walked into the building. I heard it as "Hi, D!" Thinking it's a nickname, I responded to his greeting which only confirmed "Heidi" as my name. Fantastic. Now I'm "Heidi Barnett." I'm going to go missing one day and the posters will read- MISSING: HEIDI BARNETT. No one will ever find me. I learned my lesson at work, so I mustered up the courage to correct Dwayne, even thought it was painful. I thought everything was squared away until this week. As I was in the front office, Dwayne came over to say hi and asked me if I had already moved out. I don't know what he was talking about. I am not moving out, I just resigned my lease...but I bet you anything Heidi did...

All this to say, my insurance cards with my new last name came in the mail today which was the last thing to do on my list entitled: Changing My Name. Also on the list:
Drivers License- check!
Social Security- check!
Bank- check!
SLP license- check!
Insurance (as of today)- check!
It only took 9 months, but everything is officially changed. Our mail is finally being addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Tate Barrett. Although, we did receive a letter by mistake addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Tate Nicholson...haha I had a good laugh at that one.

I became Mrs. Barrett on October 17th, but as of July 14th, I will officially be known as Mrs. Barrett to the rest of the world; however, come August, I am sure Mrs. Barnett, Mrs. Berry and the Speech Lady will be making appearances as well. Until then...

Best Wishes,
Mrs. Barrett

2 comments:

  1. Haha I very much enjoyed that! I think Dwayne was my favorite character. Poor lad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard all of those stories several times....still funny!

    Lynley-btw

    ReplyDelete